Monday, September 3, 2007

Labor Day, or the Slaughtering of Worthless Souls

Last night we hade a bunch of neighbors over for dessert (Beatta made her world famous Strawberry Rahka), and we started talking about Labor Day and what we should do to celebrate. I mentioned that in my family, Labor Day always meant the first day of dove season, so we typically went hunting.

This awoke quite the conversation as some of the group were astounded that I would kill an animal for such a small piece of meat. After much discussion I discovered that it was okay to kill a pheasant or duck or deer, as they had lots of meat; apparently the worth of an animals soul decreases as its size rises (though one of my mathematically adept neighbors argued that the spectrum must be cubic or quadratic in nature, as killing rhinos and elephants is certainly not acceptable).

So, I suppose the question is, with so little of the Bosworth family still in dove hunting areas, what are we all doing today for Labor Day?

6 comments:

Ryan said...

Nuthin'

Mom said...

Dove hunting! And canning tomatoes, ironing, sweeping the front porch, other housekeeping duties!
Mom

Mom said...

I have slaughtered the first soul, whatever its worth may be, of the year. More to come this evening. The rest of the day has been spent trying to save Narb's condo from the forces of evil through skulduggery, machination and political maneuvering, at which I am fairly skilled. This strawberry dish you mentioned would be even more famous if it were in the garden spot. Can it be made with other fruit?

Dad said...

Sorry, didn't realize I was signed in as Mom. You probably realized that-he r political maneuvering skills are no really that good.

Scott B. said...

Mom's political skills may be less, but her skills at typing and spelling are clearly better than your own.

The dessert can be made with whatever fruit you like--berries are definitely the best, but we've also used peaches. Bananas obviously would work as a secondary fruit.

Tobin said...

Hallie and I went to the beach and caught crabs and ran away from jelly fish-literally. We napped and then ate pancakes with Mom's elderberry syrup. Tobin is still in Utah. He will be home Wednesday morning.
Alison