Friday, February 27, 2009

Easter Traditions?

Beatta informed me last night that our family (meaning you all) is the most boring holiday family in the whole wide world when it comes to Easter. I concur.

Mom, Dad--shame on you for instilling in us a complete lack of celebratory traditions for Easter.

But has this persisted? Do any of you (meaning Alison & Tobin, Ryan & April) do much for Easter now that you've escaped the un-fun iron claw of Fairway Drive? Do you have any suggestions for new traditions?

For my part, I'm thinking of making our kids dress up in bunny costumes like Ralphie in the Christmas Story for church. But I'm open to other suggestions, too.

6 comments:

Ryan said...

Sorry. Got nothin'. We usually make a ham.

Scott B. said...

Yah. I think that your comment further validates my wife's accusation.

Alison said...

We took Hallie to Rifle city's Easter Egg Hunt. Last year, just to the ward one. We bought her an Easter basket too, then we ate the candy and gave her the toys for her birthday..oh, and we bought it 75% off after the holiday.
Maybe we should get a little more creative.
Did we ever even dye Easter eggs as kids?

Mom said...

I remember dying eggs a couple of times when you were very little. I am totally guilty of ignoring this holiday. Sorry (but not very) for any lasting trauma this may have caused all of you.

Scott B. said...

"...and we bought it 75% off after the holiday."

Just adding to the fuel to the fire there.

Unknown said...

While Ryan doesn't celebrate Easter, the kids and I usually do :) Last year we went to an easter egg drop (held on a farm that does corn mazes in the fall). The eggs were dropped from a helicopter for the hordes to collect in age groups something like 4 - 10 years old and 10-15 years old. For the younger ones there was a roped off area where plastic eggs were placed on fake grass carpet. There was a huge blow up slide that Ian loved and even climbed up and slid down on his own and a bouncy maze and some other related stuff. I'm not sure whether its a tradition or not. We don't dye eggs...too much mess and I'm the only one who eats them. And we don't really do easter baskets as we try to limit the candy intake to a small but steady stream. I think we did do easter presents last year and the kids usually get new church clothes as they are on sale and I can find slacks and ties for Ian.