Monday, August 27, 2007

navy and missionaries

We have had some fun experiences lately. Our neighbor is in the navy (I am sure we are about the only ones who aren't), and took us out to his boat the other night. He is an OS2 on the carrier Iwo Jima. He took us all over the inside and up to the runway on top of the ship. It was an amazing tour, much better than the ones you pay for. We also got to see 2 submarines and he showed us all over the base. His boat carried President Bush while he was seeing what happened from Katrina. He said that was quite an experience.
We had the sister missionaries over for dinner on Saturday and then I went out with them for the evening. They taught a first discussion and we were able to see two less active families. It was amazing for me (never being on a mission), and I have a whole new respect for people who do go on missions.
Tobin started work and school today and seems to like both. His Dean apparently is quite the fanatic about the west and loves to talk to Tobin about Yellowstone, Utah, Colorado and is very up to date on the fire in Sun Valley. He is amazed that Tobin would leave the west to come out here. I guess when we figure it out we can let him know why.
I made Ryan's spaghetti sauce for some friends last night and they loved it. They said it was "Olive Garden" good....it that really a compliment?
hope everyone has a great Labor Day
Alison

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you got a Navy tour. I hope that you'll have some others. As a missionary I always enjoyed working around the army or air force bases. It really is a different world and it is so interesting to get to glimpse inside the military.

I hope you take more opportunities to go out with the Sisters. It is really very helpful to them and I hope it is an interesting experience to you.

Scott B. said...

Yah...If someone told me my sauce was "Olive Garden-good" I'd be sure not to invite them over for pasta again...or let my children near them.