Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Happy Birthday Memphis!



Memphis' birthday is today. She is 6. To celebrate, we registered her in the NCSU veterinary school's canine epilepsy database. She is now eligible to participate in clinical studies of experimental medication for canine epilepsy. (Mostly they just test epilepsy drugs already approved for human use.) It would be nice to get her in because some of the new drugs are promising, but expensive ($150-$200 for a month supply).

Memphis' seizures are becoming a little more frequent. She has one about every 2 weeks now, usually at the most inconvenient time possible. (Just ask Alison and Tobin.)

On the bright side, we are much better at dealing with them when they happen and she is very gentle with the children. She puts up with a lot from Ian. Overall, a good companion dog.

5 comments:

Mom said...

I had forgotten that NC State has a vet school. Sounds like a good idea. Cute picture!
Mom

Scott B. said...

what is the story behind inopportune moments for an episode with Alison & Tobin?

Mom said...

Memphis had a seizure during the night when Alison and Tobin were at Ryan's. Alison had to go get Ryan up in the middle of the night because they heard Memphis and Ryan didn't.

Mom

Tobin said...

Memphis seems to always have a episode when we are there. In fact, I think we were there for her first, or one of her first. Maybe it is as Ryan suggested...Memphis is just allergic to me.
It is hard to hear/see. I am glad Ryan and April are better at dealing with it. It almost made me cry to hear her.
Alison

Scott B. said...

Well, I certainly empathize with Memphis on being allergic to Alison. I mean, that is no easy affliction to overcome.