The NCSU Vet school decided that Memphis had enough seizures during the 4-week evaluation period to continue with the study. The rest of the study is divided into 2 8-week periods, with a 2 week "washout" period between them. In one (randomly selected) period she will get the drug, in another she will get a placebo. I guess the experiment is triple blind, since the researcher, pet owner, and pet do not know which period is which. Memphis never knows what is going on anyway...
Memphis is currently 2 weeks into the first 8 week period. Updates to follow.
The best part of the study so far was the comical survey I had to fill out. The questions were of the "strongly agree, agree, neutral, disagree, strongly disagree" variety. The questions were similar to: "I believe that my pet is aware of my moods." and " I am in touch with my pet's feelings."
7 comments:
So...what did you say? Are you in touch with the feelings and moods of your dog?
Mostly I said I believe that my dog is a moist robot that does whatever her instincts tell her. I don't think she has emotions and empathy in the human sense. Basically, if she wasn't cute, and we thought she would taste good, we would eat her.
I do think, however, that she can sense when a seizure is imminent--it triggers fear or confusion. She becomes "clingy" and disoriented.
I think Beatta would describe me as "clingy" and disoriented most of the time. Am I about to have a seizure?
Are you also compulsively licking the carpet, drooling, and peeing on the lawn?
No, Yes, and Decline to Answer
Under the advice of your lawyer, I presume...
Mom...did YOU put the boys in any type of experiment while they were growing up? It would explain so much.
Alison
Post a Comment