Monday, November 10, 2008

An open letter to Ryan

Dear Ryan,

Upon information and belief, Dad has now finished (or is only a few pages away) Atlas Shrugged. Mom read it last year, and Alison quickly followed suit. I read it years ago. That means that you, Ryan, remain the only member of the Bosworth family who has yet to read it.

Until you read the book, there will be inside jokes that must necessarily exclude you. There will be family discussions you'll not understand. When Mom accuses Dad of acting like Jim Taggart, or Alison says I remind her of Wesley Mouch, you'll be left out of the fun. Poignant commentary about how much Preston Ford is beginning to resemble the Twentieth Century Motor Company will be confusing and hollow for you.

Please, the time for repentance is now. We, your parents and siblings, will encourage you. We'll persuade, and we'll prod, because we love you. We know you can do it. It's time to embark upon your 1,069-page journey into awesomeness.

With love,

Mom, Dad, Alison, Scott, & Pepper's Ghost.

2 comments:

Dad said...

This is over the top. Neither Pepper nor any other household pet has, to my knowledge, ever read "Atlas Shrugged". Please leave Pepper's Ghost out of this.

However, who knows what salamanders do in that dark little hole all winter.

Ryan said...

I guess I know what I'm getting for Christmas...