Sunday, October 21, 2007

In Search of...

...a good book. Anything you've read lately that you would recommend? What's the best book you've read in the last 6 months?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed How the Irish Saved Civilization It's not exactly serious history, but I learned a lot about a time and place in history that I didn't know much about.

Ryan said...

Wish I could help you here. You might try "Public Policy Analysis: A Political Economy Approach" by Bickers and Williams. All these people in my class read it, and even came to discuss it during my office hours! I didn't much care for it, however...

I can, however, recommend the Aubrey-Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brian. They'll keep you occupied for months. Mom is currently reading them.

Tobin said...

Mom is my source for books. I have read a lot of books lately, but I don't know that you would be too interested. Mainly history stuff. Talk to Mom if you are interested in any of these topics...
Shermans March (after Atlanta)
Wright Brothers
Martin & Willie Handcart
...a variety of others, but I can't remember the names.
I read the book April mentioned. It was quite interesting.
Alison

Mom said...

I can think of so many books! What about the sequels to the Ender books? The Master and Commander books that Ryan mentioned are very good. 20 or so years ago, long, saga, type books - the history of an area - were very popular. The book Hawaii by James Michener is an example. Outstanding book. Shogun by James Clavell, about Japan, is 1000 pages long and I was sad to have it end. I have read a few books from my list of "books I should have read by now" - old classics. Last year I read Tom Sawyer and Les Miserables. The Count of Monte Cristo is a good example.
By the way, Iconoclast Books has used books 50 to 75 percent off (moving sale). I plan to spend some time there this week. If you know of something you want, I'll look for it.

Mom

Scott B. said...

Yes, Mom...if you see any of the sequels to Ender's Game or Ender's Shadow, then please pick them up.

Unknown said...

Anyone who hasn't read the Count of Monte Cristo definitely should. It is certainly one of the best books ever.