As you are aware, we are remodeling. These things expand in scope, and unforeseen challenges appear. The latest involves the family of salamanders that live in the window well outside Ryan's old room.It started when Sheldon Coburn said we had to replace the window in the wood room - it couldn't be opened. Since the room will be finished and it now matters to NARB what the view out the window looks like, she has mandated that gravel be placed in the window well for visual appeal.
This concept has been expanded to include ALL window wells. But what of the salamanders? We have discussed several options:
1. Kill the salamanders outright by any means necessary.
2. Just put down a weed barrier and bury them under many pounds of gravel, letting the salamanders figure it out.
3. Flush the little creatures out of their holes with a hose, attempt to catch them and release them at a location to be determined later.
4. Leave that window well as it is and leave the salamanders alone and happy, accepting the less-than-attractive environment.
We are posting a poll to help us make this momentous decision - please assist us by voting.
11 comments:
Sad. Pepper would never have been subjected to such treatment.
I added the picture up there just so you could look into its cute little eyes before you say, "I'm sorry, Mr. Salamander, but I just don't care about you or your family."
NARB and I must express our outrage at the introduction of Pepper into the salamander discussion. To compare our beloved pet and family member to these creatures is a shameless ploy to generate sympathy for what should properly be viewed as uninvited, trespassing squatters.
Not only that, although Pepper did shed a lot, she wasn't slimy.
So there.
I think that you had ample opportunity to evict your "squatters", as you call them, over the past couple of years. It's obvious to anyone familiar with the situation that you and NARB have both expressed liking and/or affection for the salamanders.
While I tread lightly here so as to not disturb the slumbering Pepper, I think the generalized term "Pet" can be stretched into applicability here.
maybe we should stick Narb and Dad down in a hole and try to hose them out and see how you like it. Let them live!!!!!! They are a great source of fun for the grandkids too. Hallie remembers Grandpa Boz squirting them.
Another thing that's being "stretched" here is the characterization of our salamanders. Ours are the color of mud and have eyes like #6 lead shot. They bear about as much resemblance to the colorful, dreamy-eyed animal in Scott's picture as Gollum does to Henkka.
I don't think the salamanders are the ugly creatures your dad has characterized them to be. I don't like the tone of his comments!While the salamanders were originally uninvited, we have learned to appreciate them for insect control, and we watch over them carefully.I would feel terrible if anything bad happened to them.
Scott, do you remember me taking a salamander in a bucket to kindergarten for you, Mike, and Amy to show.
Also, Pepper was a member of the family, not a pet.
Mom
I remember the bucket in kindergarten. Indeed, I remember and treasure all the animals that I've formed meaningful, lasting friendships with throughout my life. Clearly this appreciation is not inherited from the paternal genes.
I don't appreciate the extreme spin Dad is trying to put on the issue here. Bringing Gollum and Henkka into this was a low blow indeed.
I encourage all of you to have your children participate in this referendum--the votes of Henkka, Hallie, Molly, and Ian are of high import.
Having just read "the myth of the rational voter" I don't think the adults should be allowed to vote, much less the children...
But, if I recall correctly, you were an observer of a study at Oregon that suggests kids are just as rational as adults on most things (those not involving future consumption, if i recall). So even if you think that neither adults nor children should be allowed to vote, if one IS allowed, then certainly the other should be as well.
Post a Comment