Friday, July 8, 2011

What I've been reading

So, I think we should make an effort to start the blog back up. Because I want other people to tell me what they have been reading and offer recommendations, the golden rule suggests that I do the same, (although I have been told that I have peculiar tastes).

Everything is Obvious: Interesting book on what Social Science can and cannot tell us. Lots of commentary on the best of recent (and not-so-recent) research in economics, sociology, psychology, and more. Suggests that a lot of "common sense" is actually stupid.

Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids: Book by public choice economist Bryan Caplan. Basically, he argues that parents (especially wealthy, high-achiever types) tend to overestimate the costs and underestimate the benefits of children. Basically a rebuttal to the happiness research that suggests kids make people less happy.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. Written as a history of British magic. The Amazon description makes this book seem light and fun, but it is full of darkness and madness as well.

The Great Stagnation: Tyler Cowen's debate changing short book arguing that our current slow economic growth rates have simple causes that we simply can't fix in the short run. A must read if you want to be conversant about the current economic debate.

The Guarden: Still reading this book, I'll let you know what I think when I finish. Sort of like "Hunger Games", I guess.

Adapt: I am loving this book. Very eye opening. Only about 2/3 done with it.

Popular Crime: I simply cannot put this book down, although it is one of the weirdest books I have ever read. There is an excellent article on Grantland that will give you the feel. Favorite quote from the article: "sometimes seeming like the most intense 10th grade book report the world has ever seen".



Also, I'm posting this picture because I like it:

1 comment:

Alison said...

I recently read Middlemarch by George Eliot and The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington. I highly recommend both!! Right now I am reading Anthem by Ayn Rand and next is The Chosen by Chiam Potok.