Monday, March 9, 2009

Grandpa Rich

I've been thinking a lot about Papa lately--maybe because we recently got to spend time with George and Tom, and I am just always blown away at the awesomeness of the Rich family. When I think about Papa, the first things that come to mind for me are:

1. Pancakes of all different shapes and sizes. Dogs, airplanes, snowmen, and of course "basketballs" (I can't believe he fooled me with that trick).

2. His barbecued pot roast in the dining room on Berkeley Street.

3. Going for walks around the block in Salt Lake with Papa and Burt the dog after dinner.

4. His joke about the statue of Brigham Young in downtown Salt Lake: Facing the (Zion's) bank with his hand out, while his back was to the temple. I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants.

What do you think of first when you think about Papa? (You can chime in too, Tom!)

5 comments:

Tom said...

Thanks for posting this Scott. A few quick thoughts:

1. How he loved doing "ride-a-cock horse" with his grandchildren.
2. I agree that his pancakes were good, but his gravy was the best.
3. How he called mom everyday from work at exactly 11:30 AM.
4. What a good bridge player he was.
5. Playing "As Time Goes By" and "Peg O' My Heart" on the piano.

Alison said...

*I loved the roses.
*I also loved the pancakes...and going for walks around the block
*One time I said that I hated something, and he very nicely told me that hate is a strong word and I should not use is lightly. That has stuck with me. I don't use that word very often.
*I loved how he would wink at me. One eye at a time.

Scott B. said...

Alison--I had totally forgotten about the "wink"...I loved that, too.

Never got to taste the gravy, though...maybe I did and I just don't remember it.

Tom said...

Alison -- I don't remember dad saying that about the word "hate", but I have said that same thing to my kids more than once !

Unknown said...

I didn't know Grandpa Rich very well, but I will never forget playing basketball with him at George's house and more importantly that Grandma Rich was convinced (heckled, chided, guilted) into playing.