Saturday, November 17, 2007

We may have a winner

I have never been satisfied with the Navy Bean Soup recipe we have - always like the restaurant stuff better. Alison made some the other day and said it wasn't that wonderful either. I ran across a recipe on the net the other day that is much better. Here it is:

1 lb. small white beans - navy or great northern
1 lb. smoked ham hocks ( I used two, wanting more ham)
1/4 cup bacon drippings or olive oil
2 C chopped onion
1 C carrots, diced small
2 T minced garlic
1 14-1/2 oz. can whole tomatoes, chopped
4 fresh thyme sprigs
8 C chicken broth.

Soak the beans in cold water overnight, drain and rinse well.
Simmer the hocks in at least 6 cups water ( to cover) in a saucepan, partially covered for 1 hour, skimming foam as needed. Reserve 4 cups of the cooking liquid.

Heat drippings / oil until hot but not smoking in an 8-quart pot over moderate heat. Cook onions, carrot & garlic , stirring, until the onion softens. Add the tomatoes and thyme and cook 1 minute. Add the beans, broth, hocks and cooking liquid and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally until the beans are tender, about 1 hour.

Remove a cup or so of the beans and mash them or puree in a food processor, and return them to the soup - this thickens the soup. Remove the hocks, shred the meat and return to the soup. Put the soup in the fridge or freezer until he fat can be skimmed off. Season the soup with salt, pepper and a little Tabasco if desired.

Note: I found the soup too thin - next time I'll cut the liquid by at least 2 cups. The recipe also calls for 1 lb. arugula to to be added just before serving. Spinach could be used, too. I didn't use either.

I'd be interested in your reactions.

Happy cooking,
Dad

1 comment:

Scott B. said...

Navy Bean, Navy Bean, I like my Navy Bean...Sorry if you haven't seen that episode of Seinfeld.