But I digress.
The true revelation that I've come to discover in working on this matter is that, over the past 5-6 years, mattress spring technology has improved so much that box springs are now literally useless in terms of support and functionality. In fact, there is only one reason that box springs are even made and sold anymore: American (and some European) customers are used to a certain "look" in a bed, and they aren't yet willing to go without a box spring.
How have bedding companies responded to this belligerence? Well, they have transformed the old box springs into--more or less--empty shells that still "look" the same. Effectively, they have cut out 90% of the cost of the box springs by removing all of the inner workings, and just staple fabric to the foundations in order to look the same.
2 comments:
I always wondered what good they were anyway. Interesting post.
Actually, the idea of phony box springs was developed in the 1950's. People needed a cheap bed for junior post-crib, and something for the spare bedroom. We sold tons of a model which had a box-spring type foundation that was nothing more than Scott describes - an empty frame upholstered to look like a box spring - an overgrown bunkie board. It was called by the uncomfortable sounding title "Hardtop."
I would like to see the information, Scott.
Post a Comment