
At the gentle prodding of our devoted home teacher, and against my better judgment, I started reading a novel about a ginormous shark (or, more accurately, a Megalodon) a few days ago.
Wow. Big time.
This book has it all--flesh munching, science, blood, romance, guts, action, gore, technology, bone crunching, sinister antagonists and heroic protagonists. More or less every living thing in the Pacific Ocean--human and nonhuman alike--gets swallowed whole in a two week period.
Last night, after staying up until about 1:30am to finish reading MEG: A Novel of Deep Terror, I can say that while I am almost certainly dumber than I was before reading it, I'm also happier and feel like a more complete person. Although I have been going through a bit of mass-market paperback hysteria for the past few months (O.S. Card, lame Grisham novels...a goal I once set), I typically try to find high quality reading. Therefore, I am grateful for MEG as it has, with its nonstop exploitation, awakened me to my senses.
Wow. Big time.
This book has it all--flesh munching, science, blood, romance, guts, action, gore, technology, bone crunching, sinister antagonists and heroic protagonists. More or less every living thing in the Pacific Ocean--human and nonhuman alike--gets swallowed whole in a two week period.
Last night, after staying up until about 1:30am to finish reading MEG: A Novel of Deep Terror, I can say that while I am almost certainly dumber than I was before reading it, I'm also happier and feel like a more complete person. Although I have been going through a bit of mass-market paperback hysteria for the past few months (O.S. Card, lame Grisham novels...a goal I once set), I typically try to find high quality reading. Therefore, I am grateful for MEG as it has, with its nonstop exploitation, awakened me to my senses.
I shall return to literature.
3 comments:
I also have been trying for about a book a week. And if Mom isn't sending me something I feel a great deal of anxiety in not knowing what to read next. My solution is to start reading all of the "classics". I highly recommend David Copperfield to those who haven't read it. I am currently reading Oliver Twist, which for some reason I was reluctant to do, but am really enjoying it. I am sure most libraries have a classic section to browse through.
You may not find world eating sharks there though.
You may not find world eating sharks there though.
Alison and her poor grammar! I honestly don't know if she means "sharks that are eating the world" or a "world that is eating sharks".
I'm so confused.
Either way (sharks or worlds doing the eating), I don't want to read it. While such a novel may awaken Scott's senses, with my imagination, I am afraid that I would just be terrified and more reluctant to go to the beach than I already am.
Post a Comment