Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley













I thought we should have a space to share thoughts about President Hinckley. After hearing of his passing this morning, I felt that peculiar feeling of sadness mixed with peace that we associate with the passing of loved ones. I am very grateful for President Hinckley's love, leadership, and teachings.

Also: News here and here.

2 comments:

Tobin said...

I had no idea. Wow. Thanks for letting us know.
Alison

Scott B. said...

A few of the thoughts Beatta and I talked about upon hearing the news:

-Imagine the reception he is receiving right about now

-Everything changes, but at the same time, nothing changes. The Priesthood organization is a wonderful thing.

-There is an entire generation of the Church who knows no one but President Hinckley as "the Prophet". This must be similar to how the Church (apparently) felt when David O. McKay died--almost difficult to imagine someone else in those shoes. Although I was alive for Presidents Kimball, Benson, and Hunter, every decision in my life that has to do with my testimony, service in the Church, and life in general has been made during President Hinckley's time.

-It will be interesting to observe President Monson and see how, if at all, he changes his approach in addressing the Church

-President Eyring is once again Elder Eyring, a junior Apostle. Although there is strong precedent for him being part of the new 1st Presidency when it is formed, there is no doctrine requiring such.